Cornmeal Crusted Soft-Shell Crabs
When you buy soft-shell crabs, have them cleaned at the fish market.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 soft-shell crabs, (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula, (about 6 ounces), washed and tough stems removed
- <u>Lemon-Red Pepper Confit</u>
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Whisk egg whites in a small bowl until just frothy. Dip crabs into egg whites to coat. Dredge them in the seasoned cornmeal, shake off excess, and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; arrange 4 crabs on their bellies in the pan. Cook until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer crabs to a plate and add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to pan. Return crabs to pan, on their backs, and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes more. Remove crabs from skillet and keep warm on a baking sheet in a 300 degrees.oven. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and crabs.
- Divide arugula among four plates. Arrange 2 crabs over each plate of arugula, spoon confit over or around crabs, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.