Sauteed Baby Artichokes
This recipe comes to us courtesy of chef and author James Peterson.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 18 baby artichokes, (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced and crushed to a paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a sharp paring knife, trim the outermost layer of leaves from each artichoke. Trim stems, and cut off top half of each artichoke. As you trim them, place them in a medium bowl; add lemon juice, and toss to coat.
- Transfer artichokes to a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover artichokes by 1 inch. Using a small heat-proof plate, weigh down the artichokes to keep them submerged. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer artichokes until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain.
- Cut artichokes in half lengthwise. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add artichokes in a single layer, and cook until hot, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.