Cucumber Salad with Melody Thomas Scott
This recipe adapted from Janet Laurence's "A Little Scandinavian Cookbook" (Chronicle, 1990)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, sliced thinly crosswise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 7 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons), or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place cucumber in a colander. Sprinkle with salt. Top with a small plate and weight. Let drain for 1 to 2 hours. Rinse and squeeze dry.
- In a medium bowl, stir together lemon juice, sugar, and 7 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Add cucumbers; toss to combine. Garnish with parsley.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.