Spinach and Peas
Martha Stewart Living Television
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound (about 1 cup) English peas, shelled
- 1 pound baby spinach, trimmed and well washed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Prepare an ice water bath; set aside. Line a baking sheet with a cooling rack; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt and the peas. Cook until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice water bath to stop the peas from cooking. Drain, shaking off excess liquid; set aside. Add the spinach to the boiling water and cook, just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain, squeezing out excess moisture, and transfer to wire rack to dry.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, but not brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas, and cook 1 minute. Add the spinach, tossing to combine, and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.