Milk Chocolate-Pistachio Tart
You'll find pistachios everywhere in this dessert -- embedded in the crust, in a paste layered beneath the milk-chocolate filling, and in a dusted coating on top.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
Yield Makes one 9-inch tart
- Vegetable oil cooking spray, for pan
For the Crust
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Pistachio Paste
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
For the Filling
- 5 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Garnish: finely chopped pistachios (optional)
- Coat a 9-inch fluted round tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray. Make the crust: Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, chopped pistachios, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Beat butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add sugar, and beat until pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla, then flour mixture; beat until just combined and dough holds together when pressed between 2 fingers. Press dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Press dough into bottom and up sides of tart pan. Trim excess dough flush with edges of pan using a knife. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake until firm, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely; reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the pistachio paste: Pulse pistachios, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until mixture begins to clump together. Add oil, and pulse until smooth and pastelike. Spread evenly into bottom of cooled tart shell, pressing firmly with the bottom of a measuring cup until flat and smooth.
- Make the filling: Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling; pour over chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk until smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in egg until combined. Place tart shell on a baking sheet, and pour in filling. Bake until just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Garnish with finely chopped pistachios.
Dough can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.