- 1 cup heavy cream, preferably pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized), chilled
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Seeds from 1/4 <u>Plumped Vanilla Beans</u>, or 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a medium bowl and beaters (or whisk) in freezer until very cold, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Remove bowl from freezer and set in ice-water bath; add heavy cream. Fit the beaters into a handheld mixer and mix on high speed until cream is lightly thickened and beater leaves a trail on the surface.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until soft peaks form.
Whipped cream can be made a few hours ahead of time and kept refrigerated until ready to use; lightly whisk before serving.