Use to make ABC Kitchen pastry chef Cindy Bearman's Chocolate Cake with Malted Chocolate Ganache and Toasted Marshmallow Frosting.
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2011
Yield Makes enough for one 9-inch layer cake
- 2 1/4 sheets gelatin
- 1/2 cup egg whites (from 5 to 6 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Fill a medium bowl with water and add ice. Add gelatin to ice water and let stand until soft. Drain, squeezing excess water from gelatin, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed.
- Place sugar in a medium saucepan along with 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water. Place over medium-high heat and cook, brushing down sides with a pastry brush to prevent crystallization, until liquid reaches 235 degrees on an instant-read thermometer; add gelatin.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add sugar mixture to egg whites. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 10 to 15 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.