Emeril's Chicken-Patty Pockets
If you or your little helpers don't like spicy food, simply reduce the amount of cayenne pepper in the patties to a quarter teaspoon.
Everyday Food, April 2010
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
For the Chicken-Patty Pockets:
- 1 pound ground dark-meat chicken
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pita pockets, for serving
- Lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and cucumbers, for serving
- Minted yogurt sauce (optional, below), for serving
For the Minted Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat broiler, with rack in highest position. In a large bowl, combine chicken, egg whites, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, and spices and mix until well blended. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Divide chicken mixture into 8 portions (about 2 1/2 to 3 ounces each) and place on sheet. Shape each into an oval patty and use your hand to flatten slightly. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over patties.
- Broil until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Serve in pita pockets, with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and Minted Yogurt Sauce, if desired.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, mint, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 hour, to allow flavors to come together.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.