Asparagus, Snap Pea, and Avocado Pasta
This spring pasta recipe comes from reader Allison Stockman in London.
Everyday Food, June 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1 pound bow-tie pasta (farfalle)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, parsley, or basil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or pecorino cheese, plus more for serving, if desired
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook asparagus until bright green, about 2 minutes. Add snap peas; cook 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon or a small sieve, scoop out vegetables; transfer to a bowl.
- Return water to a boil; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water; set pasta aside in colander.
- In pasta pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add asparagus, snap peas, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, cooked pasta, avocado, herbs, cheese, and reserved pasta water. Toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with additional cheese, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.