Spinach with Ginger and Chile
Nutrition doesn't come at the expense of flavor in this spicy spinach (left, in photo). The recipe comes from chef and food activist Bryant Terry, and it was published in "In the Green Kitchen," by Alice Waters.Also try: Citrus Chard with Raisins
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2010
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 4 crosswise slices peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red or green chile or 1 dried red chile
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds spinach, tough stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Season oil with salt and add ginger and chile (if using a fresh chile, make sure to cut a slit in it to prevent it from bursting in the hot oil).
- When ginger begins to sizzle, add spinach to skillet and toss, using tongs, to cook and evenly distribute flavor, until spinach is tender and wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.