- Oil, for baking sheet
- 8 slices white bread
- 2 1/4 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 pounds chicken pieces (preferably legs, thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil a baking sheet. In a food processor, grind the bread into fine crumbs.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a second large bowl, combine the buttermilk, Tabasco, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken, turning to coat.
- Remove one piece of chicken from buttermilk mixture, shaking off excess liquid. Drop into the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake for 40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cooking.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.