Shaved Artichoke Salad
This delicious artichoke salad recipe is courtesy of Mark Bittman and can be found in his cookbook, "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian."
The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2008
- 2 lemons
- 8 baby artichokes, trimmed
- Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Squeeze juice from 1 lemon into a large bowl of ice water. Slice artichoke hearts and bottoms, if tender enough, as thinly as possible, adding them to the ice water as you slice.
- Thinly slice Parmesan so that you have about as many slices of cheese as you do artichoke slices. Zest and juice remaining lemon; set aside.
- Remove artichoke slices from water and pat dry. Toss with olive oil and juice from remaining lemon; season with salt and pepper. Layer artichoke slices on a platter with Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved lemon zest and herbs; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.