Citrus Bars with John O'Hurley
- 3 1/2 cups plus 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, wheat germ, confectioners' sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until largest pieces are size of peas.
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of an ungreased 17 1/2-by-12 1/2-inch rimmed baking pan. Bake until golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, and remaining 2/3 cup flour until combined. Whisk in lemon and lime juices, zests, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until combined. Pour filling onto crust.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until center is set, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and cut into bars approximately 3 by 2 inches. Bars can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day, then kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.