Use this recipe to make our Five-Grain Salad.Recipes by Emeril Lagasse, from "Farm to Fork," HarperStudio, New York, 2010, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.
Photography: STEVEN FREEMAN
- 1/2 cup hulled millet
- 1 cup vegetable stock or canned low-sodium vegetable broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat, and add the millet. Toast until it has a nutty smell, 4 to 5 minutes.
- As soon as the first grain pops, remove the pan from the heat and pour the millet into a bowl. Add cold water and swirl it to wash the millet. Then pour the millet into a fine-mesh sieve and rinse it under cold running water for another minute or until the water runs clear.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the millet and salt and pepper to taste, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until all the liquid has been absorbed, 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the millet with a fork, and use as desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.