Benedetta's Sauteed Spinach
Benedetta Vitali, owner of Zibibbo restaurant in Florence, Italy, serves this spinach with her Tuscan Pot Roast.
- Coarse salt
- 2 pounds baby spinach leaves, washed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 fresh hot chile pepper, coarsely chopped
- Pour 1/2 inch of water into a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add salt and spinach, cover, and let cook for 1 minute. Uncover, stir with a wooden spoon, and boil for another minute. Drain thoroughly, leaving the spinach in the colander for about 10 minutes. Gently press out the excess water with the back of a fork, taking care not to damage the leaves.
- Using a very sharp knife gently cut the spinach into strips. Be sure not to mince the spinach, which will be quite fragile.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil, garlic, and chile pepper over medium heat, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn as the oil heats. When oil begins to sizzle, add the cut spinach, and cook for about 5 minutes. Occasionally turn the spinach gently with a wooden spoon to combine. Taste, adjust for salt, and serve hot.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.