Almond Cake Layered with Lemon Curd
Martha Stewart Living Television
Yield Makes one 8-inch cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 6 ounces almond paste, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon Curd for Almond Cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/255217/lemon-curd-for-almond-cake)
- Streusel for Almond Cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/255218/streusel-for-almond-cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch cake pans; line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat almond paste and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add sugar, and beat to combine. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and beat to combine. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Spread the batter evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans, remove parchment, and return to the rack to cool, top sides up.
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer in the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan. Spread half the lemon curd on top, and cover with the remaining cake layer. Spread the remaining curd on top. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set.
- When cake is set, remove sides from springform pan. Press streusel onto sides of cake. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.