- 1/4 recipe <u>Basic Sugar-Cookie Dough</u>
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks on
upper and lower thirds. On a piece of
parchment paper, pat out dough to 1/2
inch thick. Sprinkle zest evenly over top;
knead to incorporate.Transfer to a cookie
press; pipe shapes, about 1 inch apart,
onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in upper and lower thirds
of oven, switching positions of sheets
halfway through, until edges are light
golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to
wire racks to cool completely.
- Set a small heatproof bowl over a pan
of simmering water; add half the chocolate
to bowl, and stir until melted and
smooth. Add the remaining chocolate;
remove bowl from heat. Stir until smooth.
Transfer chocolate to a pastry bag fitted
with a very small (less than 1/16 inch) plain
round tip, such as Wilton #1.
- Transfer cookies to a sheet of parchment
paper. Pipe chocolate in a zigzag
pattern over tops. Let stand until chocolate
has set. Store in airtight containers
at room temperature, up to 5 days.
Transferring cooled cookies to a sheet of parchment paper before adding the chocolate keeps your work surface clean. When piping chocolate zigzags,
use steady pressure and a fluid motion to yield the best results.