Roast Beef with Horseradish Sauce
After the beef finishes cooking, let it stand at room temperature for at least ten minutes before carving. Keep in mind it will continue to cook after it has been removed from the oven.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 60 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 (about 2 pounds) top or bottom round beef roast, tied
- Coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 small onions, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated peeled fresh horseradish, or prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof saute pan over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add beef; brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove pan from heat.
- Place onion halves in pan, cut sides down. Transfer pan to oven. Cook beef and onions until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of beef registers 140 degrees (for medium-rare), 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer beef to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Reserve onions.
- Stir together sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Serve beef with horseradish sauce and roasted onions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.