- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Submerge the mushrooms in cold water, swish around to wash thoroughly, and drain. Trim the ends, slice and place in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon half over the mushrooms and toss.
- Put the garlic in a large pan and pour in the olive oil. Heat over medium-high heat until the garlic begins to sizzle but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, stir, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until all moisture is evaporated and the mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.
If you're in the mood for pasta, use these mushrooms as a base for sauce; add a splash of white wine, 1/4 cup of cream, and 3 tablespoons of grated cheese.