Steamed Artichokes with Tarragon Mayonnaise
Martha Stewart Living, March 2008
- 2 lemons
- 6 to 8 artichokes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Squeeze juice of 1 lemon into a large bowl of cold water.
- Trim stem of 1 artichoke flush with bottom. Snap off outer leaves. Using kitchen shears, cut off tips of remaining leaves. Place in lemon water. Repeat.
- Drain artichokes, and place in a pot in a single snug layer (in batches if necessary). Add 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and steam until tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from pot. Let cool. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice remaining lemon. Whisk zest, 2 tablespoons juice, the mayonnaise, tarragon, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Serve alongside artichokes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.