Halloween 2004, October Holiday 2004
- 2 cups ruby port
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 12 Bosc pears
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Stir together port, honey, star anise, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, and vanilla bean in a large roasting pan. Add raisins. Cut a 1/4-inch-thick slice from bottom of each pear to level, and then place pears in pan.
- Bake pears, basting with pan juices every 15 minutes, until skins are wrinkled and pears are golden brown and tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Arrange pears on a serving platter. Pass pan syrup through a fine sieve set over a bowl; discard solids. Drizzle syrup over pears.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.