- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled, plus more for baking dish
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 cups fresh fruit (optional), such as oranges or berries, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and 3/4 cup sugar on high until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat to combine. With a rubber spatula, fold in melted butter until incorporated. Transfer batter to dish and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating dish halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milks. Poke warm cake all over with a wooden skewer or toothpick, then pour milk mixture over top and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Whip cream and 1/4 cup sugar to medium peaks. To serve, spread whipped cream evenly over cooled cake. Top with fruit if desired.
If you use a metal baking pan, keep a close eye on the cake -- it will be done in about half the time.