Serve these Passover popovers alongside a bowl of chicken escarole soup, two recipes from Joan Nathan.
The Martha Stewart Show, April Spring 2007
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup matzah meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with oil; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring oil, 1 cup water, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in matzah meal until sticky, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Add sugar and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fill a large bowl with water. Dip your hands in the water and then form dough into a ball about the size of a tennis ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat process until all dough has been used.
- Transfer to oven and bake until popovers are puffy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.