- 16 sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup drained capers (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, chervil, and basil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Season scallops on each side with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat until it just reaches the smoking point. Add 8 scallops to the pan, and saute until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan to a warm plate. Repeat with remaining scallops.
- In a second skillet, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add capers, and cook until they open, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Place 4 sea scallops on each of the four plates. Garnish each plate with 1 tablespoon fried capers, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs, and a wedge of lemon. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.