Butternut Squash Puree
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds reserved, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place squash in a large shallow baking dish. Drizzle with butter, and toss to coat. Cover with parchment-lined foil. Transfer to oven, and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean seeds and transfer to a small baking sheet; bake until dried out. When dried, cook in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet until golden. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and let stand until cool.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches in a blender, puree squash until smooth. Stir in honey, salt, and nutmeg. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with roasted seeds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.