Pan-Seared Strip Steak with Mushrooms
Side this steak with White-Cheddar Grits and Collard Greens with Lemon for a meal for four in about an hour.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil, plus more if needed
- 4 boneless New York strip (shell) steaks (6 ounces each), 1/2-inch thick
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, thyme, or chives), for garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of each steak with salt and pepper. Cook 2 steaks at a time for 1 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Do not flip steaks more than once.) Add more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate. Cover, and let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to drippings in skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add stock and juices from plate to skillet. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits. Stir in mustard, and simmer until sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Pour sauce over steaks, and sprinkle with herbs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.