Creamy Tomato Soup
This creamy tomato soup recipe is adapted from "Martha Stewart's Cooking School."
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Basic Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/255226/basic-chicken-stock), or water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, their juices, and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender, food processor, or food mill. Puree tomato mixture (if using a blender, cover the lid with a kitchen towel while machine is running).
- Return soup to a clean pot and set over low heat. Whisk in cream, if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or transfer soup to a bowl set over an ice-water bath to cool completely. Transfer cooled soup to an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat until heated through.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.