- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more, softened, for baking dish
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish; line bottom with 4 slices bread. Sprinkle with half of each cheese. Top with chives. Layer with remaining bread and cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover; refrigerate at least 6 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake strata until puffed and golden, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.