Mark's Risotto with Tomato and Basil
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milled or crushed canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (do not rinse)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 to 4 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- In a medium-size, heavy soup pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. When it foams, add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the rice, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until well coated, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine, and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the broth, stir, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time, until the rice is cooked through but still firm, 20 to 25 minutes total.
- Add the remaining tablespoon butter, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Mix well, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.