Sparkling Roasted Vanilla Lemonade
Vanilla seeds roasted in a skillet with lemon halves and sugar offer a surprising flavor in a sparkling lemonade made with both club soda and still water.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2008
- 10 lemons, trimmed, halved crosswise, and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, pod reserved
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups club soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place lemons, cut side up, in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet or a large baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar, then add the water and vanilla seeds and pod. Roast until edges of lemons are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Squeeze the juice and pulp from lemons into a blender. Remove vanilla pod, and add syrup in the skillet to the blender. Puree, then strain through a sieve into a pitcher, pressing to extract liquid and some pulp.
- Fill glasses with ice. Pour 3/4 cup lemonade into each glass. Top with 1/4 cup club soda.
Roasting the lemons takes the edge off the acidity.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.