Wrapping the corn tortillas in a clean kitchen towel after they've cooked keeps them soft and pliable, which makes them easier to shape.
Mad Hungry, April 2011
Yield Makes about 16 tortillas
- 2 cups instant corn masa flour
- 1 1/4 cups water, plus more if needed
- Combine masa and water in a large bowl and stir thoroughly to form a soft dough. If dough feels dry, add more a little bit at a time.
- Cover the dough with a damp towel.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle or nonstick skillet. Line a tortilla press with plastic wrap.
- Roll the dough into small balls and press each one in the tortilla press. Peel each tortilla off the plastic and add to heated pan. Cook each tortilla for about 60 seconds on each side until slightly puffed up and toasted.
- Keep cooked tortillas on a plate, covered with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.