- 1 batch <a href="/recipe/chocolate-cookie-dough">Chocolate Dough</a> (or 1/2 batch Chocolate Dough + 1/2 batch <a href="/recipe/basic-vanilla-dough">Vanilla Dough</a>, marbleized; see Helpful Hint below)
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermints (optional)
- Ganache (http://www.marthastewart.com/296281/ganache)
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in crushed candies, if using. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing each 1 inch apart.
- Press a well into the center of each using your finger. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, and press well again with handle end of a wooden spoon. Bake until firm, 7 to 9 minutes more.
- Let cool completely. Spoon ganache into thumbprints.
To marbleize dough, roll out a 1/2-inch-thick rope of Chocolate Dough. Roll out a 1/2-inch-thick rope of Vanilla Dough. Pinch off a 3/4-inch piece
from each rope. Roll together into 1 ball.