Bean and Chicory Crostini
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch chicory (about 12 ounces) trimmed, and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup <u>Cooked Dried Beans</u>
- 8 Crostini Crostini (http://www.marthastewart.com/255044/crostini)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off the top one-quarter of the head of garlic, and discard. Place head of garlic on a small piece of parchment paper-lined foil. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and slightly caramelized, about 1 hour. Measure 1 tablespoon garlic; set aside. Use remaining garlic for another use.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and the chicory. Return to a boil, and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain well, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out excess liquid, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash half of the beans; set aside. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add reserved roasted garlic, and cook until warm and fragrant. Add the drained chicory, the whole and mashed beans, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture onto crostini. Drizzle with oil, and serve with lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.