Stewed Beet Greens
Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- Reserved beet stems and greens from Quick Pickled Beets (http://www.marthastewart.com/263919/quick-pickled-beets), or use stems and greens from 6 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Thinly slice beet stems to yield 3 cups; rinse well, and drain. Coarsely chop beet greens; rinse well, and drain. Set stems and greens aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add beet stems; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add greens, and cook until wilted but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.