This cornbread recipe has been adapted from one by Marion Cunningham, author of "Lost Recipes."
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-2-inch round baking pan, and place in the oven to preheat. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk eggs and butter in a large bowl. Whisk in sugar, salt, milk, and vinegar. Add flour mixture, and whisk until just smooth. Stir in corn kernels.
- Transfer batter to heated pan. Pour cream into center of batter; do not stir. Bake until pale golden brown and set, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Unmold, and serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.