Chicken Caesar Salad
Store croutons in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature; cooked chicken covered in refrigerator; washed lettuce in a large bowl with paper towels in refrigerator; and salad dressing, covered, in refrigerator.
Everyday Food, June 2006
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
For the Croutons and Chicken
- 4 ounces Italian bread, cut in 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets (each 2 to 3 ounces and 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 package romaine lettuce hearts (18 to 20 ounces)
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove
- Make croutons: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes; remove from oven; and let cool.
- Make chicken: Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side; remove from skillet and let cool.
- Prepare lettuce: Cut romaine crosswise into 1-inch ribbons; wash and dry.
- Make dressing: In a blender, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, Parmesan, anchovy fillets (if using), and garlic; blend until smooth. If preparing this recipe in advance, see storage instructions (below).
- If stored in refrigerator, bring chicken and dressing to room temperature. Slice chicken crosswise into strips; toss with croutons, lettuce, and dressing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.