- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces, wings reserved for another use
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Using a paper towel to grip, remove skin from chicken. In a large bowl, toss chicken with buttermilk, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and teaspoon pepper. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and toss with oil. Bake crumbs until golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes, tossing twice. Transfer to a large bowl. Set a wire rack over sheet.
- Working with one piece at a time, lift chicken from buttermilk mixture (letting excess drip off) and dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Transfer chicken to rack.
- Bake, without turning, until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil if browning too quickly.
Baking the chicken on a wire rack keeps the bottom of the pieces from becoming soggy. For spicier chicken, add a few shakes of hot sauce to the buttermilk.