Gingerbread Snacking Cake
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1997/1998
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pans
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch cake pan; set aside. In a bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, ground spices, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until light. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in molasses and grated ginger, baking-soda mixture, and flour mixture. Beat in eggs.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dust with confectioners' sugar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.