- 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral-tasting oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped napa cabbage (1/4 head)
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium. Add cabbage, ginger, and garlic; cook (uncovered), stirring often, until cabbage is wilted, about 2 minutes. Spoon cabbage mixture onto plate.
- Add rice to the pan, and stir to coat with oil; cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then add cabbage mixture, vinegar, and sesame seeds, and toss to combine.
Toasting the grains before adding the water gives the rice a subtle nutty flavor. Toasting the sesame seeds has the same effect.