Pumpkin-Gingerbread Ice Cream Sandwiches
Homemade pumpkin ice cream plus homemade gingerbread cookies equals delicious Halloween party snacks. The pairing works wonderfully thanks to pumpkin's natural affinity for spices, such as ginger. The cookies can be made well in advance, leaving you plenty of time to prepare for the arrival of guests -- or goblins.
Photography: John Lawton
Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup <u>Milk Caramel</u>
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canned solid-packed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chewy Gingerbread Cookies (http://www.marthastewart.com/282991/chewy-gingerbread-cookies)
- Bring milk, cream, milk caramel, and cinnamon stick to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat. Cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard cinnamon stick. Set aside.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Put yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until pale and thick, about 4 minutes.
- With machine running, add hot milk mixture in a slow, steady stream. Add pumpkin and vanilla, and beat until combined. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl set in the ice-water bath. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Sandwich ice cream between gingerbread cookies just before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.