Classic Pumpkin Pie with Betty White
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart Living, November 2005.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2005
- Yield Makes one 10-inch pie
- 1 sugar pumpkin (about 4 pounds), halved, or 1 1/2 cups solid-pack canned pumpkin (one 15-ounce can)
- 1 recipe <u>Pate Brisee for Pumpkin Pie with Betty White</u>
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using fresh pumpkin, roast pumpkin, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet until soft, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely. Roasted pumpkin can be refrigerated in an airtight container overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger disk of dough into a 14-inch round. Fit round into a 10-inch pie plate; trim and fold dough under flush with rim of pie plate. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Roll out remaining disk of dough to 1/8 inch thick. Whisk 1 egg and heavy cream in a small bowl; set aside. Using a 1-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutter, cut out leaves. Brush edges of pie shell with egg wash. Arrange leaves around edges, pressing to adhere. Brush leaves with egg wash. Cut a large circle of parchment paper; fit into pie plate, extending about edges. Fill with pie weights. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. If desired, cut out additional leaves and place on a small parchment paper-lined baking sheet. These may be baked and used to garnish pie slices.
- Bake pie shell 10 minutes. Remove weights and parchment; bake 5 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- If using fresh pumpkin, discard seeds. Scoop out flesh using a large spoon; transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer pumpkin to a large bowl. Add brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, remaining 3 eggs, and evaporated milk; whisk until combined.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer pumpkin mixture to pie shell. Bake until all but the center is set, 50 to 60 minutes. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into wedges, and serve with whipped cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.