Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
This delicious cookie recipe is from 'wichcraft restaurant.
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- Yield Makes 12 sandwich cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Turbanado sugar, for sprinkling
- Peanut Butter Filling (http://www.marthastewart.com/254889/peanut-butter-filling)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, until toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Spread oat mixture onto prepared baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together remaining 1/2 cup butter, granulated and brown sugars. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Add oat mixture and flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined. Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Cover dough with a second piece of parchment paper and roll out dough, between parchment, to 1/4 inch thick. Carefully slide rolled dough onto the back of a baking sheet and transfer to a refrigerator until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper; cut out cookies using a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until golden, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
- When cookies have cooled completely, snip the end of the pastry bag and squeeze filling in a spiral motion on the bottom side of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.