This panzanella, or bread salad, is made with green beans, onion, olives, fennel, and feta.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel bulb
- 1/2 red onion (about 4 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices (about 1 inch thick each) rustic bread
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat; add salt. Add beans; simmer until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Plunge beans into ice-water bath to stop the cooking; let cool completely in water. Drain.
- Toss together green beans, fennel, onion, olives, feta, oil, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; season with pepper. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until bread darkens, about 3 minutes per side. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes; add to salad, and toss to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.