Southern Fried Eggs Over Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
This shamelessly rich, homey classic is too often mediocre, but it's memorable when made well. Success lies in a creamy gravy tinged with the faint heat of cayenne, eggs sunny-side up, plenty of pepper, and tender, flaky, tangy biscuits,
Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 8 <u>Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits</u>
- Sausage Gravy (http://www.marthastewart.com/261087/sausage-gravy)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil or butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crack 4 eggs into skillet, and cook, uncovered, until whites are set, about 2 minutes. (If you prefer to cook your yolks further, cover skillet.) Transfer to a plate. Repeat. Arrange 1 or 2 biscuits on each plate. Top with gravy. Place 1 egg on each biscuit. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.