Coconut-Almond Egg-Shaped Cake
Although the egg-shaped pans, available
as a set at wilton.com, are symbolic of Easter, this cake can also be baked in two 8-inch round cake pans for 25 to 30 minutes.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2009
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Seven-Minute Frosting (http://www.marthastewart.com/283506/seven-minute-frosting)
- Piped Spring Flowers (http://www.marthastewart.com/283329/piped-spring-flowers)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour
9-inch egg-shaped cake pans, tapping out excess flour. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and
1 cup coconut in a medium bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer
until light and fluffy. Add eggs and
almond extract, and beat until incorporated.
Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions,
alternating with coconut milk,
and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide batter between prepared
pans. Bake until golden brown and a
cake tester inserted in the center
comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let
cool in pans on wire racks for 30 minutes.
Invert cakes onto racks; let cool.
- Trim flat sides of cakes with a serrated knife to create an even surface. Dab some frosting in the center of a serving platter or cake stand. Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on top of frosting, and spread 1 cup frosting on top. Top with remaining cake layer, flat side down. Spoon 1/4 cup frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small star tip, and reserve. Working quickly, spread remaining frosting over entire cake. Pipe a decorative garland around circumference of cake with reserved frosting. Press piped spring flowers gently into the frosting to decorate if desired. Mound remaining coconut around cake.
- Using a wooden skewer as a guide, cut cake into slices about 2 inches thick. Cut each slice in
half vertically, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.