Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing
The consistency of this icing should be thin enough to spread but not runny.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup <u>Pumpkin Puree</u>, or canned
- 1/2 cup warm (110 degrees) milk
- Brown Butter Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/262828/brown-butter-icing)
- Caramelized Walnut Halves (http://www.marthastewart.com/282532/caramelized-walnut-halves)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment, and butter the parchment. Coat pan with flour, and tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat until combined. Add pumpkin puree and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
- Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake, and decorate with caramelized walnut halves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.