Add giblets and neck to the pan with the turkey one and a half hours after the oven temperature is reduced to 350 degrees in step 5 of the Perfect Roast Turkey recipe.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2005
- Giblets and neck from <u>Perfect Roast Turkey</u>
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or turkey stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Trim fat and membranes from giblets. Rinse giblets; pat dry. Add giblets and neck to pan with turkey. Roast until browned, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Make a bouquet garni: Tie peppercorns, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and bay leaf in a square of cheesecloth. Set aside.
- Make the stock: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables. Cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; add giblets, neck, bouquet garni, and 1 quart water. Cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, until reduced to about 3 cups, 50 to 60 minutes. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a clean medium saucepan. Keep stock warm over medium-low heat. Roughly chop giblets; shred meat from neck with a fork. Set aside. Discard other solids.
- Transfer turkey to a large platter. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings from pan. Pour remaining drippings into a gravy separator; let stand until separated, about 10 minutes. Discard fat.
- Deglaze roasting pan: Place roasting pan over 2 burners. Add wine; bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits on bottom of pan. Reserve deglazed liquid.
- Make the gravy: Put the reserved 3 tablespoons pan drippings from turkey in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until hot. Add the flour, whisking vigorously to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, until fragrant and deep golden brown, about 9 minutes. Whisking vigorously, slowly add hot stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in reserved deglazed liquid and separated pan juices. Add giblets and neck meat. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, about 20 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a saucepan; discard solids. Keep gravy warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.