Grilled Leg of Lamb with Garlic and Mint
Marinated leg of lamb is elegant enough for a special occasion, but easy enough to make any night of the week.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 bunch fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves crushed and peeled
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 pounds boneless leg of lamb (about 1/2 of 1 large leg), butterflied
- Combine oil, mint, garlic, zest, 3 tablespoons salt, and the red-pepper flakes; season with pepper. Reserve 1/2 cup marinade.
- Pound lamb to an even 1-inch thickness. Place lamb in a baking dish, and massage marinade into meat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Let lamb stand at room temperature for 1 hour before grilling. Heat grill to medium-high. Brush grates with oil. Remove lamb from dish, and brush off any excess marinade. Grill lamb, flipping every 5 minutes for even cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 130 degrees to 135 degrees for medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Let stand for 10 minutes. Slice lamb across the grain. Drizzle with reserved marinade.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.