Chipotle Chicken Filling for Quesadillas
Pair this filling with mild queso blanco cheese and guacamole when making our Basic Quesadillas.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2000
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups <u>Homemade Chicken Stock</u>, or low-sodium canned
- 1 boneless, skinless whole chicken breast (about 12 ounces)
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped canned plum tomatoes (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper; cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add stock and chicken; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
- Add chipotles, tomatoes, star anise, and cinnamon, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Shred chicken, and return to sauce. Simmer gently until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and star anise before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.