Devilishly spicy, super saucy, and almost virtuous chicken in three steps. Napkins, anyone?
Everyday Food, June 2007
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
For the Chicken:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Coarse salt
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds total)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Celery sticks, for serving
For the Better Blue-Cheese Dip:
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Make the Chicken: On a rimmed baking sheet, combine flour, paprika, and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Add chicken, toss to coat, and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, and cook, turning to brown on all sides, until cooked throughout, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ketchup, butter, and hot sauce; season with salt. Add hot chicken, and toss gently to coat. Serve with celery sticks and dip.
- Make the Dip: In a small bowl, combine cheese, yogurt, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well with a fork, mashing cheese to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.